Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 1995 04:57:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com (Marty Leisner)
Cc:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw, mrcpu@cdsnet.net, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: printer recommendation?

> In message <199506161817.NAA15275@bonkers.taronga.com>,   you write:
> >> You don't need anything faster than a parallel port.

> >Unless you're printing big bitmapped images, in which case you do.

> Like I said, only if the resolution of the image is the same as
> the resolution of the printer...

Nope. Only if the resolution of the image is the same as the resolution of
the printer, or an integral multiple or divisor of it, or the postscript
engine uses a variable duty cycle algorithm (a-la bresenham's), or you
care about the overhead of the exchange and you don't have a printer port
that does DMA or block transfers...

> And parallel ports can go at about 100Kbytes/second...which is
> about the speed on an ethernet that's doing anything things...

You're used to overloaded ethernets. I routinely get 400k/s running
backups at work, and it's not higher only because Amanda wires itself
down to keep from soaking the net.

Ethernet switches are nice, too. Ours has a 100 Mb/s backplane.