Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:25:02 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Vladimir Savichev <vlad@ariel.phys.wesleyan.edu>, Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4.2.0 install issues

At 3:07 PM -0500 3/18/02, Vladimir Savichev wrote:
>thanks for reply, actually I managed to install  XF-4.2.0
>from the ports back in January and did
>portupgrade -rv XFree86
>so I ended up having my XFree86-4 megaport deleted without
>having a new one, don't ask me why portupgrade did it to
>me.

The big complication here is that some of us did install
the earlier megaport, and this new meta-port does not work
well in that case.  There is probably some validity to the
argument that we are "on our own" if we installed that
earlier megaport, particularly those who tracked it down
and installed it *after* the very short period of time that
it was actually in the ports tree.

>Evidently, there was a lot of junk left over in /usr/X11R6
>which spoils now a new installation. XFree86-4-clients
>complains now about not able to link with -lGLU, will
>have to start with XFree86-4-libraries first.
>What is the right sequence to pull up XFree's ports
>collection in such situtation ?

The more I think about this, the more I think that the only
safe upgrade path for those of us who DO have the megaport
is the following:

     first, explicitly: /usr/local/sbin/pkg_deinstall XFree86
to get rid of the megaport.

     then try a:        /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade -n XFree86
to install the new metaport.

This is a little painful, because it means you effectively
have no X at all for the period while all the parts of the
new XFree86 meta-port is compiling.  In my situation that
is not a problem, so that's the method I am trying out right
now.  Several of my friends had also installed the megaport,
and have tried other strategies to upgrade to the meta-port,
and all of them have run into one problem or another.

So far I have successfully made it through the first two
sub-ports (XFree86-clients and XFree86-libraries), and I
believe that's farther than any of my buddies had gotten.