Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 08:55:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      alissa bader <mol666@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   help please!  with 3Com509 NIC

hey there all.  I am running FreeBSD 3.5-Stable
release.  No problems with it whatsoever except for
the fact I can't get my !$^QTG NIC card to work.  3Com
509.

The link lights come up all nice and happy on my
machine.  I have the 3c5x9cfg.exe program on a
bootable floppy (no DOS partition on my machine) and
that works perfectly too.  Tests go through ok.  All
done on my  machine.

I have tried configuring my kernel to recognize the
device (ep0, if I am not mistaken).  Device ep0
doesn't come up in the startup script messages at all.
 When I try to bring it up by hand using ifconfig, I
get "device ep0 not configured."

argh!  what am I doing wrong?  this is driving me
nuts.

and if it turns out this NIC card is truly not worth
f'ing with anymore, I'd appreciate if ya'll could
offer me some solutions to something good that works.
:>

please reply to me directly here, mol666@yahoo.com,
rather than to the list

thanks, in advance, for your help,  this is truly a
ripping-my-hair-out experience.

--alissa