Date:      Fri, 3 May 1996 18:24:08 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net (David Kelly)
To:        Eric Jones <jonesea@mail.fia.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD to Irix

At 11:20 AM 5/3/96, Eric Jones wrote:
>I'm a graphic artist and seriously discontent with the kind of performance
>I get out of my PC. I've considered using BSD, but my biggest question is
>compatability and being able to get my files output to common things like
>an imagesetter, etc. If I install BSD to my system, do I have to find a
>service bureau with a system with BSD as well, or can other
>DOS/Windows/SGI systems read my disks?

Assuming you have a graphics utility that runs under FreeBSD that
reads/writes a format usable by the other machines then you will have no
trouble moving floppy media between those systems.

You could write your files in MS-DOS format on the floppy(s). You could
write your files in TAR format on the floppies. Tar works for almost
anything, even Macintosh (look for a Mac utility called "suntar", the "sun"
in "suntar" doesn't have anything to do with Sun Microsystems). Modern
Mac's ship with MS-DOS filesystem "drivers" so that solution works too.

For big stuff its best to get a 4mm DAT or real (not PC) QIC tape drive and
use tar.

But best of all, wire an ethernet between the systems and shoot the data
across that way.

Originally I downloaded FreeBSD over LocalTalk to a Mac, wrote the boot
floppies from the Mac (rawrite.exe works under SoftPC if you disable
Apple's DOS floppy driver). Then I made a bunch of MS-DOS floppies... Ouch.

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@hiwaay.net
                - Thomas Edison