Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:08:46 -0700
From:      "Gravel, Emmanuel (AZ77)" <Emmanuel.Gravel@CAS.honeywell.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Floppy won't mount anymore

Yesterday, I had modified my fstab to show /dev/fd0.1440
as being an msdos floppy, read/write, 0 and 0 (didn't do
an noauto at first).  It mounted properly and I was able
to retrieve the files from one of my disks.  I shutdown
without umounting the drive and I kept the line in the
fstab (still without the noauto option).

When I turned on my computer this morning, when
mounting the drives, it gave an error when looking at
fd0 (stating something about invalid blocks when no
floppy was inserted, and then something about an I/O
error.  I have never been able to mount the floppy
afterwards.  I removed the line in fstab and rebooted,
then added the line and tried mounting the floppy, and
I got that same error (the device seemed to be either
already used or conflicted with something else).  I can't
remember what the error message was exactly, and I
don't have my computer next to me, so I can only
speculate or verify what others can think of.

What have I missed here?  I know shutting down without
umounting may sometimes cause glitches, but I don't
think they'd be that bad.  Also, another thing that needs
to be mentionned, during bootup with the line in the fstab
(without the noauto) it blocks the boot at the floppy, and
asks for the path to the nearest shell.  I'm sure this is an
easy problem to fix, but I don't even have a clue where to
begin (more than I've already done).

Thanks,

Manu