Date:      Tue, 4 Oct 2005 20:22:44 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Csere Matyas <warder@eduweb.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alpha port status

> im planning on installing fbsd on an alphaserver. the only thing that is
> keeping me from giving it a try, is that i have no idea what java is
> supported under it.
> which versions of java are available for the freebsd-alpha port?
> more specifically, i want to run jakarta tomcat 5, anyone done that on
> this platform?

You *REALLY* don't want to run Java on an Alpha.  At one point, Drew had
our OSF/1 emulation working well enough to run the Digital (remember
them?) port of the JVM on FreeBSD-Alpha.

I did some comparison's with my 500Mhz Miata (donated to the
FreeBSD-Java project by DEC/Compaq/HP) vs. my 486/66 running FreeBSD
2.X, and my 486 was about 3X faster in every meaningful category.  (I
think I had one program that made heavy use of floating-point where the
Alpha barely edged out my 486.)

The Alpha chip with the stock Java setup does not do Java well.  Even
the Linux guys eventually gave up on Java on Alpha.  I suspect that with
a good JIT, the Alpha could probably do as well as an equivalent x86 of
the same CPU frequency, but I can't see any reason to sink any time into
doing the work except as an academic excercise.

Note, the DEC JVM was done by DEC engineers, so it's not like the JVM
provided was thrown together in a weekend.

Nate