Date:      Sat, 20 Dec 1997 10:41:08 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Simon Coggins <chaos@ultra.net.au>
Subject:   Re: Segate Tape stor 3200MB

"Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com> wrote:

> While I can't speak to the specific model you're talking about here,
> generally speaking floppy tape drives are poorly supported or entirely
> unsupported under FreeBSD.

That's right.  Further, the floppy controller hardware makes a rather
poort tape interface hardware.  You need to format your tape in advance
into `sectors' (which takes a huge amount of time), and you're bound
to the FDC clock rates that are used for floppies, thus only get the
same basic speed as a floppy.  In FreeBSD, currently only 500 kbps are
supported as the highest rate, this yields something around 30 KB/s
for a floppy disk.  I doubt it will be much more for a `floppy' tape.

Compare this to >100 KB/s even for the simplest SCSI drives, like an
ancient Archive Viper 150, or to (180...) 300...500 KB/s for modern
drives.

> Most people instead recommend SCSI tape drives of some stripe or
> another (Travan, 8mm, 4mm (DDS/DAT), DLT).

I wouldn't even recommend any Travan tape.  There have been a number
of questions regarding the SCSI ones popping up in freebsd-scsi, and
the net result is their SCSI firmware implementation is poor enough so
you often can't call the result `SCSI' at all (since they violate
things that are flagged `mandatory' in the standard).

> If you're worried about price, www.corpsys.com, for example, often
> sells referbished drives quite cheaply.

See also Jonathan Breslers recommendation for a QIC drive in the
handbook.  I think it was a 1 GB drive (1.3 GB with XL cartridges),
not too expensive, and damn fast.  There are a number of happy campers
using Tandberg drives (like me :), but these ones aren't what one
would call `cheap' right away.  But they are rock-solid, and that's
what counted more to me.

--
cheers, J"org