Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 02:08:27 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dual booting -stable & -current

At 9:06 PM -0700 7/20/01, David O'Brien wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 20, 2001, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>  > Thing is I want to setup a dual-boot box, running -stable & -current.
>  >
>>  What I did is create
>>	ad0s1 -> 256MB -> holds root for -stable
>>	ad0s2 -> 256MB -> was supposed to hold root for -current
>>	ad0s3 -> roughly 14G holds tmp,var,usr,usr/obj for -stable
>>	ad0s4 -> ditto for -current
>
>You are getting bit by the "root" aliasing code (IIRC this is the
>right way to describe the problem).  This makes it impossible to
>install multiple copies of FreeBSD on a single disk w/o hacking
>around the system. :-(

While I understand the steps you described, it seems to me we
should be able to come up with an easier way to do this.  What
you described is probably quite straightforward to you, but that's
because you're already familiar with all the programs you're
referring to, and you've worked with them long enough that it's
all second-nature to you.  Me, I'm hoping to do the installs I
want to do without having to become as much of an expert...  :-)

I think there should be a way to do this which does not require
quite so many steps, and so much flip-flopping between programs.
The tactic I described in the other thread was ALMOST easy, if
I had just understood a little more of what was going on.  And
I suspect that with a few changes [somewhere...], we could make
that strategy work without having to change the type of slices,
or having to run diskedit to rename partitions within the slices
we've created.

>Now install -current in the normal way.  When you enter the slice
>editor you will see that all is as you want it.

In my situation, I had the 4.3-release CD at home, and a very
slow network connection.  So, "the normal way" for me to install
current is to install 4.3 first, and then use cvsup & buildworld
to get to 5.  I don't know how normal that would seem to other
people, but given that that is how I intended to do it, then I
just have this feeling that there should be some easier way to
get thru the sysinstall/disklabel issues without becoming an
expert with renaming partition types, etc.

obviously I need to learn a bit more and do a little more thinking
before I can say exactly what that "easier way" is, but I do think
it's possible...