Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2019 15:26:14 -0800
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        Simon Ser <contact@emersion.fr>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Drew DeVault <sir@cmpwn.com>
Subject:   Re: Unattended FreeBSD installation

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 3:14 PM Simon Ser <contact@emersion.fr> wrote:

> For the purposes of a CI service [1], I want to write a script that
> generates a fresh qcow2 FreeBSD image. So far I've been using
> bsdinstall(8) and this has been working well when testing locally [2].
> However this doesn't work when run from SSH because bsdinstall(8) uses
> dialog(1), which requires a TTY (or fails).

Have you tried with -t added to the ssh command?  -t will tell ssh to
allocate a pseudo-TTY:

    -t      Force pseudo-terminal allocation.  This can be used to execute
             arbitrary screen-based programs on a remote machine, which can
be
             very useful, e.g. when implementing menu services.  Multiple -t
             options force tty allocation, even if ssh has no local tty.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com