Date:      11 Mar 2000 13:41:01 -0800
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        jseger@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libgtop build failure

By the way, this is what your test program said, when compiled with
guile with thread support.

## cc -I/usr/local/include/ -I/usr/X11R6/include/ testguile.c
/tmp/ccl16377.o: In function `main':
/tmp/ccl16377.o(.text+0xf): undefined reference to `gh_eval_str'
/tmp/ccl16377.o(.text+0x1f): undefined reference to `scm_boot_guile'

 * From: Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>

 * As a further data point, I just tried compiling the latest guile
 * (with threads support enabled) on -STABLE (as of 2/24), and it hung:
 :
 * This seems to be another case of the 2.7.2.3 compiler barfing on
 * .s files (expecting input from stdin, if I recall).

Hmm.

 * Removing --with-threads from the Makefile means this directory isn't
 * compiled, and everything builds to completion.
 *
 * I'd therefore recommend removing the '--with-threads' from guile's
 * Makefile until we can figure out a better solution -- looks like the
 * gap between 3.x and 4.x is now large enough to start causing subtle
 * problems like this.

Well, the new release is from 4.x so it doesn't really matter if the
3.x build is broken for a few days, but not being able to compile
libgtop (and thus the rest of gnome) is serious enough to warrant a
back out of that change.  I'm going to disable it and start the freeze
+ package build now.

Satoshi