Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:07:42 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
To:        Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
Cc:        "Aleksandar Simic'" <alex@frustum.clara.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The right way to burn CDs ?

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 08:59:33AM +0100, Wayne Pascoe wrote:

> I've been having this _EXACT_ problem with a Yamaha 8 8 24 and a
> Yamaha 4 8 24 for the last 2 weeks. I have not received a single
> response as to what is causing the
>
> burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCCLOSEDISK): Input/output error
>
> Error. I am starting to thing that Yamaha CDRW's are not supported by
> burncd.

There are some CD-RW drives that do not work.  Mine does not.  Based on
the frequency of this problem reported on the list and the varied types
of drives I am starting to think that _most_ CDR-RW ATAPI drives do not
work for burning CDs.  My drive works fine with Linux (ide-scsi module)
and I would bet that yours would too.

Unfortunately, Soren Schmidt, the author of burncd, does not seem to be
too interested in fixing this.  I offered to be a tester of any code
changes but received none.  He passed off my problem as being crappy
hardware but I know that is not the case.  If it is then there are a lot
of people with "crappy" CDR-RW ATAPI drives that are not too crappy to
work under Linux.

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj@charter.net