Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 13:07:14 -0800
From:      "Tiller Beauchamp" <tbeaucha@gladstone.uoregon.edu>
To:        <mestery@visi.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Quake 3 Retail

-----Original Message-----
From: mestery@visi.com <mestery@visi.com>

[trimmed]

>> I'm using pcm0 and as I heard on this list, that doesn't work. I'll have
>> to switch to snd0.  12.5 fps hurts. I am able to get 25 fps under
windows.
>> I am running a low end machine: 266 PII, 64 ram, tnt1.  I'm running
>> FreeBSD 3.3.3 and Xfree86 3.3.3.1. I followed the tutorial at
>>
>Did you get sound with the Quake3 demo or test program?

Nope, but I did with other sound programs.

>  I am using
>newpcm (pcm0), and I had sound with the demo and test program.  What
>type of sound card do you have?

My sound card is some no name brand using YAMAHA OPL3-SAx
(YMF-71x-OPL3-SAx) chipset.  I tried using snd0 last night, but couldn't get
it to work right.  You said you're using the newpcm? I'm using the pcm that
came on the FreeBSD 3.3.3 CD's. btw, my /boot/kernel.conf has this in it:
pnp 1 0 os enable port0x 220 port1x 530 port2x 388 port3x 350 drq0 1 drq1 0

I can't remember if those are the excact port number or not, but does it
look right?  Do I need all 4 ports in there?

> FYI, I don't know what fps I was
>getting, but I have a dual Celeron 400MHz (BP6) with a G400 running with
>GLX.  It was easily playable.

type /set cg_drawfps 1 in the console if you are curious.  That will display
your frame rate in the upper right corner.

I spent some time playing last night, and wow the new levels are amazing!
The fog, the new models, the lighting, the moving geometries -- I can't help
but stare.  I make an easy target :)

Tiller