Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 00:07:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu, ken@kdm.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCIOCGETCONF/PCIOCREAD requires write permission?

As I recall, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> Agreed. Thanks for spotting this, Andrew.
>
> No, we should not let users read PCI registers in such a fashion that
> will cauase the system to crash.

Ok, I guess just because it's the holiday season, I feel like
opening a can of worms.

I thought the space staked out by the *BSD gang was approximately
this:
  NetBSD - the least amount of platform-specific code possible; run
  on most anything
  OpenBSD - pro-active security, bullet-proof from attacks
  FreeBSD - best performing on the Intel PC platform

If that's accurate (and it may not be), then how concerned should we
be about the Alpha port?  Isn't Alpha (and SPARC, etc) the space
stake out by the NetBSD gang?

I'm not trying to foster a war here.  There seems to be enough of
that anyway.  But unless this PCI register reading thingie is an
issue for i386 boxen (and I don't think it is) we shouldn't cripple
functionality on the i386 for the Alpha.

Has the core group ever weighed in on this?  Does the BSDi merger
change any of the FreeBSD focus with regard to other hardware
architectures?

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net