Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 1995 18:12:26 -0500
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        dufault@hda.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Physically contig memory in user process

if you implement contigous page allocation using vm_page_alloc_contig,
start above the 1 MB mark, because I found writing the meteor capture driver
that if you allocate a good size chunk that starts below the 1 MB mark
it could panic the system when you free the chunk. my video buffer was large
enough to do it every time. starting above the 1MB mark works correctly
every time. I figure it had to do with the hole between 640KB and 1MB,
but that is not backed with real evidence.

why not allocate the buffers as part of the device's driver and mmap them into
user space instead of allocating them into users space directly?

--mark.