Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 11:24:55 -0400
From:      CP4@mead.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Remote upgrade advice

Hi all,

I have a freebsd box acting as a web server that is co-located at a local
ISP.
I would like to upgrade it to the latest FreeBSD release. It is a headless
box and I
have configured it using a serial console. It is currently running
2.1.6-RELEASE.
I would like to be able to do the upgrade remotely, that is, without having
to go to the ISP's site if at all possible.
Going to the site is not out of the question, but If I can do all or most
of the upgrade remotely, then that is what
I would like to do. Also, I have no modem on the serial port that I'm using
as the console, so I could not simply
dial up the console screen.  My question is, does anyone here have any
suggestions/tips/techiques as to
how I could do this? Also, are there any general issues I should be
watching out for when upgrading
from 2.1.6 (configuration file changes, etc.)?

Thanks in advance,
C.P.