Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:05:02 +0300
From:      "Mike Telahun Makonnen" <mtm@FreeBSD.Org>
To:        "John Marshall" <John.Marshall@riverwillow.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to debug rc hangs?

On 10/23/07, John Marshall <John.Marshall@riverwillow.com.au> wrote:

> I have tried setting rc_debug="YES" in rc.conf but that doesn't show me
> any more than I already know (e.g. last line before mountd hang is:
> "/etc/rc: DEBUG: run_rc_command: doit: /usr/sbin/mountd -l"

It seems to me that if it's getting this far, that the problem probably is
not in rc.d. The next thing it does after that debug message is eval the $doit
line you saw, so either the eval command is missbehaving or the problem
is with the daemon and not rc.d. What does CTR-t say when it hangs? Also,
I noticed all three programs you listed are network daemons. My guess is
they are not actually hung, they only *appear* to hang because they're wating
on some sort of network resource (DNS maybe?).

Cheers,
Mike.