Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:03:06 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: sftp/ssh quell shell? [Kris]

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 07:08:24PM -0400, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > PL> experimenting to get scp (and qpopper) to work, the problem I kept =
running
> > PL> up against seemed to be that I was running tcsh as my shell on both=
 the
> > PL> local FreeBSD box and the destination FreeBSD box.  All I wanted to=
 do was
> > This cannot be the cause of your problem: I (and many other people, sin=
ce tcsh is ths default FreeBSD shell) do this every day.
>=20
> myprompt$ scp -S ssh -C pete@thehostname-here.com:/var/mail/pete
> usage: scp [-pqrvBC46] [-S ssh] [-P port] [-c cipher] [-i identity] f1 f2
>    or: scp [options] f1 ... fn directory

Well, that's an invalid command because you left out the destination
path ("f2").  And FYI, you don't need the -S argument unless you want
to override the default ("ssh").

> I was going to show you what I mean, but I don't remember how, ugh.  The
> error message was something related to "setenv TERM" and some kind of
> ioctyl undefined message or something.

OK, so it's something in your .cshrc which is only supposed to be done
when logging in to a hardware console, not remotely.  This is a bug in
your .cshrc.

> Oh and by the way, `man scp` doesn't explain *where* you want the remote
> file copied, for example, to the working directory or mirror the full path
> of the remote file locally.  Know whaddaye mane?

Not really.  The 'f2' argument to scp tells it where to put the files copie=
d.

> > PL> Not sure I follow 100% but you've got me on the right track I suppo=
se, Thx.
> > .cshrc is a shell script.  You can use csh commands to only conditional=
ly execute part of the script if the variables are set. -Kris
>=20
> Uh, what?

Nevermind, I'm not going to explain how to write a shell script :-)
You can research it on your own if you're interested.

Kris

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK--