Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 16:01:14 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Documenting sysctl knobs

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 08:58:07 +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> IMHO, this is the sort of documentation that is needed for all the
> tunable sysctl identifiers.  The problem is that (IMHO again), CVS
> logs aren't the correct place for it - the information needs to be
> available to a sysadmin who doesn't have the CVS archive on-line (and
> may not even want to RTSL [*]).

Hi Peter,

Your comments were certainly a very succinct summary of the two
flamewars I've seen on this topic so far. Thanks for that.

As you know, the idea of making the comments available via sysctl causes
alergic reactions, so I won't get into that. However, your ideas on
using a macro that's script-ripped out of the source and into a unified
document looked exciting.

If you were to do this work yourself and send diffs, I know that I, for
one, would be _incredibly_ grateful. However, if you're hoping "someone
else" will do it, you'll probably find that the kind of people who could
do it easily don't need the same availability of comments it'd provide.

In fact, the work required is doggy style but not hard. For each
tunable, hunt the CVS logs and add to the source a reaonable comment
from said logs. Hmmm... I wonder if I have time for this before I tie
the knot. :-)

Later,
Sheldon (running out of "free" time in more ways than one).