Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 95 13:50:07 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.0.5-A: Very disheartening?

> >Jordan, it does seem like there's something that's not quite kosher with
> >2.0.5-A, and it has nothing to do with the floppies, as far as I can tell.
> >I now have two systems that are definitely unstable - two entirely different
> >types of systems, at that - and both have run earlier revisions of FreeBSD 2
> >and taken heavy poundings with relative grace for over half a year now.
>
>    Considering the kind of extensive testing that I and others have been doing
> over the last 2 months, and the relative few changes that have been made to
> the kernel (especially in areas that might make a difference in the kind of
> problems that you're seeing), I must conclude that the problem is specific to
> both your configuration and the way that the installation works. I think there
> is some kind of quirk in the kernel gziping and/or compressed MFS that is
> being used in the install process that is causing the problem.
>    I am interested in working with you and others to diagnose and fix the
> problem, but I have very little to go by at the moment. Any information that
> you can provide about your hardware and the steps you took (such as disabling
> or not disabling devices in userconfig, etc.), is escential.

I suggest a binary search using deltas.

Basically, there are CVS tags for snap revisions.  Pull out a kernel source
tree and include directory for the earliest snap.

Then binary search it down to find the change-of-death.

It will take some time, but it will find the problem (log2(n)+1
attempts, to be precise, where 'n' is the number of 2.0 revisions).

Unfortunately, it's not that easy to get a full CVS history anywhere
but WC, so the work will probably have to be done on thud or freefall.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.