From:      Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bootstrapping ? (was Re: Installation Problems on Dell PowerEdge 6100/200 )

Hiho,

Mike Smith wrote on Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 12:24:55AM +0000:
[..]
> Ok, once you have this setting in place, re-install and verify that the
> disk geometry is xxx/255/63.  Any other value will cause the system to
> fail to boot.  I suspect that the point at which you tried this you
> already had the system installed with a totally bogus geometry.

This was in fact, the hint I needed.

The geometry was set to strange values, resetting it to
522/255/63 (for a 4G drive), solved the problem. After that,
the system did boot correctly, and I could move on to the
next problem (getting the SMP kernel running, which finally
succeeded, as well).
I'm still wondering if the wrong geometry settings could
result from the prior solaris installation, or from unsuccessful
installation attempts ? I always thought geometry settings are
sort of alway right with scsi disks ...

So thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock              - Truth lies in the eye of the beholder -
*Daniel Lang * dl@leo.org * +49 89 289 25735 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/*