Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 14:48:59 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Fedup with Dumps & NC...

Hi All,

All I want to be able to do is the following:

machine-a>  dump tuaf - /usr2 | nc -w 20 machine-b 4000

then on Machine B,

machine-b>  nc -l -w 20 -p 4000 >/dev/nrst0

And backup Machine A onto Machine B, with as little fuss as possible, i.e. no
amanda, no rmt etc...

This 'appears' to work, until you try a restore - at which point you get
messages such as:

machine-b> restore tf /dev/nrst0
Tape block size (1440) is not a multiple of dump block size (1024)

machine-b> restore tf /dev/nrst0
Tape block size (1648) is not a multiple of dump block size (1024)

etc.

Am I right in thinking this is a re-blocking issue? - if so, is there any way
to cure it, or a better way of using the default (i.e. standard BSD stuff) to
backup a remote machine, without going to the trouble of setting up 'trust'
relationships etc. with rmt ?

Any help - as usual, gratefully received...

Regards,

Karl Pielorz