Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 11:30:19 +1100 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Keith=20Spencer?= <bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au>
To:        james_mapson@museum.rain.com, fbsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: No lan ftp out nor ntp from LAN - where do i start to look?

Hi OK...
I meant 192.168.1.0...
With the firewal totally open it doesn't happen!
NATD? I am using ipnat...doesn;'t that do the address
translation I need?
Regards
Keith

 --- list <list@museum.rain.com> wrote: > On Mon, Nov
05, 2001 at 10:51:14AM +1100, Keith
> Spencer wrote:
> > The internal LAN is 129.168.1.0/24 space
>
> That is not a valid address space, unless your
> ISP has assigned you that entire block of addresses.
> Some things may be working in spite of your choice
> of IPs, but unless your LAN is intended to be
> in the public IP space, you should choose a net-
> work from the RFC1918 pool of addresses.
>
> That said, you don't say whether you're running NATD
>
> on the gateway.  You likely need to.
>
> You also don't list your firewall rules.  I don't
> speak
> ipf, I do ipfw, but I think the general trouble-
> shooting process is the same.  Generate some of the
> traffic you suspect is being blocked.  Watch the
> hit counts on your rules to see which rule is
> blocking
> the traffic.  Optionally, change that rule to log
> the traffic that it is blocking.  Then create a new
> rule which is designed to pass the specific kind of
> traffic which is being blocked.  Insert that rule
> at some point ahead of the rule which is currently
> blocking that traffic.
>
> So choose proper LAN IP addresses, make sure your
> NAT is working, and then do some before-and-after
> comparisons on your firewall rules to see which
> rule is blocking the traffic, and create new rules
> which will pass the traffic you wish to pass.
>
> Regards from Portland,
>
> James

http://briefcase.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Briefcase
- Manage your files online.