Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 09:04:28 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Jan L. Peterson" <jlp@softhome.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic on 4.5-RELEASE

Jan L. Peterson wrote:
> Yes, yes, following up to my own post and all that...
>
> It appears that it may have been bad RAM.  I have swapped out the RAM
> on the machine with the new disk and have not seen the problem.  If I
> see it again, I'll send out a new report.

You know, I see this all the time.  Bad RAM seems to be about the most
common harware problem out there.
Just a few days ago, I spend an entire morning trying to figure out why
a brand new machine kept panicing on install.  The panic messages seemed
to suggest the HDD and I tried 3 different HDDs before I got smart and
swapped out the RAM.  It installed and has been running fine for 3 days
now.
I've never experienced it, but I've heard a lot of people mention that
some other OS ran fine, but installing FreeBSD uncovered a problem with
RAM.  Does anyone know why this is?  What does FreeBSD do differently
with RAM that causes it to expose flaky RAM more than Windows-ish OSes?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology