Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:42:41 -0500
From:      Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
To:        markzero <mark@darklogik.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Electricity bill [was: Re: Leaving a Computer Running ?]

On Feb 7, 2005, at 3:34 AM, markzero wrote:

>> * Erik Trulsson [2005-02-05 23:55 +0100]
>>>  Also keep in mind that if you leave the computer running all the=20
>>> time
>>>  it will show up on your electricity bill, so if you wish to save=20
>>> power
>>>  you should shut down your computer over night.
>>
>> Given that your house needs to be warmed up (a presumption I think is
>> correct for Sweden as you appears to be sending from; it sure does =
for
>> Norway, I don't know about the OP), it does not matter where that =
heat
>> comes from. If your other heating is termostatically controlled, then
>> running your computer all night long uses no less electricity than=20
>> leaving
>> your heating on. Eventually, all those kWhs ends up as heat. You =
might
>> just as well use it for something usefull in the way from electric to
>> thermic energy, and not just send your electrons through an electric
>> resistance for nothing (except heat-generation)!
>>

> Actually, I've found that five machines, each with two disks, onboard
> graphics and sound, an average 700mhz P3 with a 250w power supply
> haven't really made a dent on my electricity bill. In the summer of
> last year, however, I bought an air conditioner and this added =A340
> (roughly $75) to my bill. I see I'm not the only one that thought of
> using the servers AS the heating!

My basement where my Apple G5 runs, during the cold snaps we've=20
recently had in PA, was typically ~50-55 degrees Farenheit.  The=20
computer keeping itself warm was a bonus.

As for electrical use, I remember I once needed to drain an APC UPS so=20=

I hooked it up to a Christmas tree in the living room to run it down. =20=

The load meter on the front, although it's a very very rough indicator=20=

of load, had the same number of bars for the Xmas tree as it did for=20
the old PIII with monitor and some peripherals hooked up to it...