Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 1996 15:50:26 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        brian@filoli.com (Brian Queen)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: basic questions

> What is the link - or where is it specified - between the
> devices probed at boot, and the devices in /dev?  In particular
> simple examples like sio0 to cuaa0 ...

The "link" is the file /dev/MAKEDEV" -- that is, the relationship
is not guaranteed to be 1:1, and required user intervention to
establish.

This means that the /dev nodes can be "stale" relative to the
actual devices.

This will be fixed automatically when devfs becomes mandatory (if this
ever happens).

> I added xdm to an "off" tty in ttys.  Now when I boot
> X comes up.  It is cool, but why does boot use THAT tty
> instead of the others?  There are 3 others with gettys on
> them instead of xdm.

The X server runs on one console per reference -- the first free
vty, as a matter of fact.

You will have to run multiple X servers to have multiple consoles with
xdm presenting a login box.

See the xdm documentation and the XFree86 release notes for FreeBSD
for details.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---