Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:07:13 -0600
From:      Matt Meola <mmeola@qwest.com>
To:        Grigory Kljuchnikov <grn@ispras.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error by make buildworld

Courtesy of Mark.Andrews@nominum.com:

>        This looks like a classic bootstrap problem.  I would be compiling
>        basename() (lib/libc/gen/basename.c) and manually adding it to libc.a
>        ld is being statically linked so this should work.
>
>        basename() first appear around 4.2-RELEASE.
>
>        RELENG_4_3_0_RELEASE: 1.1.2.1
>        RELENG_4_3: 1.1.2.1.0.2
>        RELENG_4_3_BP: 1.1.2.1
>        RELENG_4_2_0_RELEASE: 1.1.2.1
>        RELENG_4: 1.1.0.2
>        PRE_SMPNG: 1.1
>
>        You could also try going to 4.3-RELEASE then to -stable.

The steps:

1.  Drink alcoholic beverage of your choice.

2.  cd /usr/src/lib/libc/gen

3.  make basename.o

4.  ar r /usr/lib/libc.a basename.o

5.  Drink another alcoholic beverage of your choice.

6.  cd /usr/src

7.  make buildworld

8.  Rejoice and drink still more alcoholic beverages!

--
Matt Meola                                                       AFØD
af0d@qsl.net           ARES CO D. 6 AEC       http://www.qsl.net/af0d