Date:      Tue, 08 Oct 1996 21:46:24 -0400
From:      Richard Hwang <rhwang@bigpanda.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Q]: How to handle ports which have optional X Windows components?

I'm currently porting jed and friends (slrn and slsc).  Jed has an
optional X Windows version called xjed.  What is the best way I can
detect X so I can take the appropriate action in regard to compiling
and installing xjed?  USE_X11 doesn't seem to be what I'm looking
for.  I'm looking for some way to determine whether X11 exists on the
system, and if so, pass the info to 'configure'.  Any suggestions?

FYI, jed is an 8-bit clean extensible emacs/wordstar/EDT lookalike
text editor for a wide variety of platforms which supports color.
slrn is a gnus lookalike nntp news reader which supports color.  slsc
is a spreadsheet loosly based on sc which supports color.

More info at 'http://space.mit.edu/%7Edavis'.

-Rich