Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 2003 20:53:27 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.9-RC2 is on ftp-master..

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 05:54:37PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> The subdirectory should be called "4.9-RC2", of course,
> not just "4.9".  And for the actual release, it should

Adding a single directory for each single ISO file adds complexity for
users and wastes inodes.  We don't need to hide the ISOs behind so
many levels of indirection.  That may appeal to your sense or
orthogonality but it's a huge waste of time for anyone actually trying
to download the files.  The 4.9-RC directory that Ken suggested would
at least not waste a new directory for each single file.

> Currently, there is a significant inconsistency, which
> needs to be fixed.  IMO.

It is consistent right now in that releases have their own directory,
since they contain more than one file and will be around for a long
time.  The individual temporal files do not have their own directory.
It is consistent with that design.

Now that we're no longer doing 5 ISO images per release, we may not
need ANY extra subdirs off the ISO-IMAGES dir, as we didn't have them
before 4.4.

   - Murray