Date:      Thu, 06 Sep 2001 15:30:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        msmith@mass.dis.org, current@FreeBSD.org, Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>
Subject:   Re: Now 2 ACPI strangeness, both AMD procs

On 06-Sep-01 Mike Smith wrote:
>> K6-2-450, bus running at 95mhz, Acer 1541 (A? B?)
>>
>> All works fine with the new ACPI _except_ the clock; the time of day
>> advances about twice as fast as it should, and I get LOTS of
>> calcru negative time and time went backwards messages.
>
> We've seen this before; the Acer Aladdin X clocks are busted.  Turn off
> the ACPI timer.
>
> A 'better' solution is going to be for us to sanity-check the ACPI
> timer and not use it when it's broken.  I really need someone with one
> of these busted boards to spend a little time looking at the (really,
> really simple) code and experimenting to see what's going on.
>
>> My athlon MB (ASUS A7V) still won't boot with the new ACPI, at all.
>> Dies with a panic trying to attach something, saying can't allocate memory.
>> The message disappears too fast to remember what it objected to; I think
>> it was the fxp card.
>
> When the system panics, it *stops*.  The message doesn't "disappear" at all.
> Please capture whatever is happening and write it down; this isn't a useful
> bug report.

Unless you are on a 80x25 console with a fatal kernel trap and the new console
testing code, in which case you may very well lose relevant portions of the
panic messages. :-P  Also, if his box is resetting after panic'ing it might be
too fast.  Serial consoles are an excellenet remedy for both of these problems.
[ Not directly to you Mike, you know all of this already. ]