Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 20:17:55 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail client and browser recommendations wanted

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 08:53:15AM -0500, Dave Kaufman wrote:
> well, got 4.4-RELEASE working and thanks to some advice from here got ppp
> working and can connect to my isp.

Good. Step 1 successful :)

> i'm currently playing around with kde and xfce. am using kmail for my mail
> but would like to find something that i could use in any window manager as i
> want to explore the possibilities. i noticed that the .descr for pine4
> indicates that it requires the use of fetchmail or it will leave the mail on
> a server. are there other 'complete' mail packages available. what do people
> like and use?

I believ kmail works in other window managers, at least in Gnome. I have
heard good things about sylpheed.

Like many people hwoever I use a mail program called "mutt", which runs
in a console, or under an xterm in your window manager. I cannot praise
it highly enough for it's flexibility in handling mail. Is is not point
and click of course, but it might be interesting for you to look at it
as another possibility.

> also have used kconqueror and opera for browsers. i like the opera better.
> have been using it in windows but i found it somewhat squirrelly in xfce. it
> would stop responding to the keyboard after a little time. any suggestions
> for browsers too.

I like Opera as well, but it is a bit rough on the edges in it's
non-windows versions, I think it is under active improvement however,
and it is certainly a very pleasnt browser to use. I personally hate
konqueror so my opinion is not very useful. One lesser known but in my
view excellent browser is galeon, which you could also try.
There are many others. Netscape was for a long time the browser most
people used, but in my view it is well past it's sell by date and is a
resource hog. It also has a habit of just disappearing after a while,
like it ges tired (this occurs on every Unix platform I have used it
on).

> fwiw, i haven't had this much fun on my computer in years. it's nice to get
> away from windoze and get reminded what computing is really all about.

Well, Unix very much is built on a "tool" philosophy, things can be made
to work together on it in ways often only limited by your imagination.
As well as being useful for doing 'real' work, it is also interesting
and satisfying in itself when you find out more and more about it.
Windows very much limits it you to the world Microsoft creates around
it. In my view the creative possibilities of Microsoft systems died when
they produced Windows. When there was just MS-DOS people pushed it to
limits, and produced some remarkable software as a result. Windows
has progressively killed that creative aspect. FreeBSD can be and is
widely used in high-volume server environments, as a home computer
system for whatever you like and for people who like to tinker around
and find out how things work and get satisfaction from that. That is
a remarkably broad range of environments.

The subject of what you need to set up mail is very much dependent on
what you use for mail. Kmail makes most of this very easy. If you use
mutt you may have to get a bit more involved in the sending/receiving
side of software that goes on behind the scenes.

But fire away with questions on these things.
Lot's of helpful people on this list :)

--
Regards
Cliff