Date:      Thu, 07 May 1998 11:40:16 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Scott Sewall <scott@iprg.nokia.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade comments

> The UPGRADE.TXT file which came on the CD indicates that I would be
> prompted for a location "into which all files from /etc/ are saved."
>
> I don't recall seeing such a prompt. Previous copies of files
> such as /etc/passwd were simply overwritten.

What?!  Hmmm!  That certainly didn't happen during my testing.  Are
you sure you chose "upgrade" and didn't simply install on top of the
old system with a novice/express/custom install? :)

> The file also mentions that the upgrade procedure "replaces the
> previous FreeBSD kernel with a GENERIC kernel."  This was not the
> case. My 2.2.5 kernel was left as /kernel and the new 2.2.6 kernel
> was installed as /kernel.GENERIC.

Hmmmm again.  This would be another symptom of not acutally chosing
upgrade since only the upgrade option takes care to chflags the old
bits so that they can be overwritten this way.

- Jordan