Date:      08 Oct 1999 21:36:54 +0000
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Driver for GDT6517RD RAID controller

"Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net> writes:

>On 8 Oct 1999, Randell Jesup wrote:
>> Nice results.  I haven't played with 53c8xx chips, but I wrote some
>> very fast drivers for the 53c7xx chips a long time ago ('93) for the
>> Amiga.
>
>I'd be interested in hearing your observation of the differences between
>the 53c7xx and the 53c8xx chips as I'd really like to see the existing NCR
>driver support them.
>
>I suspect that all but the very early 53c700 and 710 chips would require
>minimal changes.

	The 53c700 wasn't really usable for a 680x0 architecture machine
(and had some other serious problems for us).  We used the 53c710 in the
A4000T (A4000 tower) and A4091 Zorro-III card.

	Are there docs on the differences, or at least on-line or available
docs on the 53c8xx chips?  Weren't the x810's 710's with built-in PCI
bus support?

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
rjesup@wgate.com