Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 2010 14:32:34 -0800
From:      Charlie Kester <corky1951@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Popularity

On Sun 28 Feb 2010 at 10:49:23 PST Brandon Falk wrote:
>Hello there FreeBSD people,
>
>Why is it that FreeBSD is so far behind Linux in popularity? The fact
>that lots of companies are not very supportive of FreeBSD (ex. NVIDIA
>and ATI 64-bit drivers) is really starting to bother me. I guess I
>would like to have a bit of a discussion of what could be improved to
>increase the popularity of FreeBSD, as honestly I can do almost
>everything in FreeBSD that I can in Linux, so why can't FreeBSD
>thrive as much as Linux. Is it that it is harder to install/configure?
>Any opinions/ideas on this situation?

Other than missing drivers, how has FreeBSD's "lack of popularity"
affected you?  You yourself say that you can do almost everything in
FreeBSD that you can in Linux.  So where's the rub?

Perhaps it's just the uncertainty that comes over us when our choices
aren't validated by others?  If so, get over it.  Or take comfort in the
fact that the people on the @freebsd.org mailing lists *have* made the
same choice as you.

The FreeBSD project is alive and well, and doesn't seem to need or want
a mass migration of users from the Linux, Mac or Windows world.  Many
BSD'ers think the price that would have to be paid to win those converts
is too high:  we don't want BSD to become just like Windows, or the Mac,
or Linux.  In fact, some people think we've already gone too far...