Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 01:18:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.dk
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SUID-Directories patch

> > I'd like to move this to 2.2.x
> >
> > It is all hidden behind #ifdef SUIDDIR
> > so I can guarantee that it won't BREAK anything.
> >
> > I really need it n 2.2 rather than 3.0 so I'd like to merge it in from
> > -current later thes afternoon if I don't hear any objections.
>
> Objection. If you need this for Whistle, you should keep it in your
> own tree, its does NOT belong in the generic FreeBSD tree.

Time to move the boot code into the Whistle tree and take it out
of the FreeBSD tree?  (Whistle needs boot code, too..).

One of the main incentives for commercial entities to give code
back is offloading of maintenance.  You can of course pick and
choose what you want to take, but the fix seems generically
useful (expecially the kernel vs. exported flags stuff that it
requires to make it work, which frees up 13 bits(!) in the
external flags for yet more mount options (like the rather less
useful -- but still useful -- symbolic link defeating options).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.