Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 02:21:52 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: <<<<<need help>>>>>>

> > (b) the release notes clearly discourage you from using 4.0 unless
> > you're an early adopter or developer; that seems quite factual to me
>
> Please quote.
>
> Ciao,
> Sheldon.

Well, I can't find it on the freebsd site, so maybe I'm wrong about
the present official policy. But here's what the slashdot post said
(posted by nik, so I assume he quotes Jordan correctly):

   ....And before you all rush off to upgrade your production servers,
   read on for a brief message from Jordan Hubbard, FreeBSD's Release
   Engineer, and to find out where to download the release from.

     "As with all FreeBSD releases ending in .0, the project
   recommends that production environments wait at least one or two
   releases after it before moving mission-critical services over. These
   dot-zero  releases are primarily aimed at the developers and early
   adopters who are willing to work on refining the technology until it's
   production-ready. The 4-stable branch will also not be created until
   just before 4.1 is released, the period following a .0 release being
   the best time to collect serious feedback before branching the tree."

(http://slashdot.org/bsd/00/03/14/2355207.shtml)

And the following is from the official announcement of 3.0:

   This release is primarily aimed at developers and early-adopters,
   though many ISPs have reported good results when using it in
   production (not that we recommend this to any but the most highly
   skilled). See the release notes for more information.
(http://www.freebsd.org/releases/3.0R/announce.html)

- Rahul.