Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 01:23:01 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Jarvis Cochrane <jarvis@guru.wow.aust.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with open() and flock() on /dev/ttyd1

In the last episode (Oct 27), Jarvis Cochrane said:
> I'm installing the SmartUPS monitoring tools from
> http://www.exploits.org/~rkroll/smartupstools/ on a 3.0-RELEASE
> Freebsd machine. The UPS is connected to the computer by one of the
> special APC 'black' cables.
>
> After a bit of mucking about I was able to communicate with the UPS
> using tip, and was able to retreive state information.
>
> However, when I ran the ups program, it would complain that the port
> was locked by another process.
>
> It turns out that the serial port is opened by the following code...

The problem is that the configure script doesn't detect that FreeBSD
has uu_lock.  I had sent in patches that almost worked, but I have
since upgraded to a machine with only one serial port (!) and my mouse
is plugged into it.  So I haven't been able to play with the upstools
in a while.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com