Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 12:54:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Patrick S. Gardella" <patrick@ChristianWord.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is Sendmail PID?

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Doug White writes:
> >
> > On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Patrick S. Gardella wrote:
> >
> > > This may sound like a very silly question, but we can't find the sendmail
> > > pid!  It's not in /var/run and the find command cant find it.
> > >
> > > Is this a new feature of 2.1.7?  Sendmail is definitely working!
> >
> > I see it in /var/run/sendmail.pid...
> >
> > gdi,ttyp2,/var/run,39>cat sendmail.pid
> > 142
> > /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q30m
> > gdi,ttyp2,/var/run,40>ps ax | grep sendmail
> >   142  ??  Is     0:00.28 sendmail: accepting connections on port 25
> > (sendmail)
> >
> > (running 2.2.1)
>
> Maybe this is a misunderstanding.  sendmail only writes a pid file
> when it's running as a daemon (option -bd).  Run it any other way and
> it works, but it deosn't create a pid file.

It is running as a daemon.  Unless, the standard install runs it
differently...but the sysconfig file file has the -bd option in sendmail
flags.

|Patrick S. Gardella          Webmaster - Christian Word Ministries |
|Work:  Patrick@ChristianWord.org                                   |
|Home:  PGardella@geocities.com          PGP Key ID 0x570CBD5D      |