Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 11:49:40 -0700
From:      Drew Eckhardt <drew@PoohSticks.ORG>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux, Solaris, and NT

In message <20001222084324.181F596EC@toad.stack.nl>, marcov@stack.nl writes:
>Exactly the same in Europe, only the sharing parts are new for me.
>The difference seems to be:
>The problem is that in the US, it is legal to override this with the
>licensing conditions. In Europe this right is inalienable.

Some courts feel that once you've paid for a piece of software, the
contract has been consumated, and the other party is not allowed to
make any changes to that contract. For example, they can't tell you
that once you open the pack containing the floppy diskettes, you agree to
not reverse engineer the software and if you don't like it you can have
your money back.  Those terms weren't present when the contract was
entered into, so they're not valid.

Of course, anyone can sue anyone for any reason; and it's often less
expensive to settle out of court even if you have a legally valid
position.