Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2005 23:11:47 -0800
From:      Tabor Kelly <tkelly-freebsd-questions@taborandtashell.net>
To:        Lyn Robie <lyn000@fallbrook.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3 Install

Lyn Robie wrote:
> Rarely have I found such an amateurish installation procedure.  It's obv-
 > ious you guys are hard put to find anyone competent in the user
 > nterfaces.  And after such snobbishly rave reviews for FreeBSD on the
 > web I was expecting better.  I installed on an HP533 I386 with the X
 > Developer package and then discover that the kernel doesn't include
 > the drivers needed for the Intel 845 graphics chip.  Ahem.  Not
exactly the
 > rarest beast in the jungle.  It's perfectly clear to me that you guys
 > are not into winning converts from the Linux camp.  I suppose you can
draw
 > some cold comfort from knowing your distro installation is so obscure
 > and bugridden that no one outside of the few grizzled old graybeard unix
 > administrators will be able to make a system run.

1. Please break your lines around 72 characters.

2. I am using an i845 as I type to compose this message.

3. There is no "kernel driver" for the i845, I assume you want X?

4. X lives in user land, not kernel land, and the i845 is well supported
by both XFree86 4.4.0 and XOrg 6.8.1 (as well as XOrg 6.7.0 for that
matter).

5. FreeBSD is focused more at servers than desktops, as suck "we" aren't
trying to win over the Linux crowd.

6. I am running FreeBSD on my Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop because I have
found it more stable and secure than Linux or Windows. Also, I prefer
the port system to the packages systems found on most Linux distros (I
came from Debian).

--

Tabor Kelly
tkelly-freebsd-questions@taborandtashell.net