Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:43:03 -0500
From:      Jason Morgan <jwm-freebsd@sentinelchicken.net>
To:        ay@sita.kiev.ua
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using the OpenSSH Port

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 05:09:34PM +0200, ay@sita.kiev.ua wrote:
> In article <20021217030729.GC83243@sentinelchicken.net.lucky.freebsd.questions> you wrote:
> > I would like to use the OpenSSH port instead of the default install. I
> > tried setting
> 	What's the reason ? I'we missed some CERT advisories about 4.7 builtin
> ssh ?

I am intalling a server for a small company - a company I once worked for. A few
years ago, I moved their server from Windows 2000 to FreeBSD in order to save money
on licensing, etc. They were very impressed from the beginning, given that the
server was a Celeron EMachines (no joke, we were a new company and the goal was to
save cash) and there were few issues with this setup, instead of the monthly crashes
or other 'issues' with Win2000. All was well until I left the company. Nobody has
the time to learn FreeBSD and so updating and admin tasks are still left to me (I
now live across the country). They were thinking about moving back to Windows,
because they feel it would be easier for them to admin (they have more cash now so
licensing is less of an issue). I stopped them from doing so but am once again stuck
with the job of admin.

The short of it is that I want to be able to reinstall OpenSSH at any time, should a
vulnerability come out and it makes me nervous doing a build-/installworld from 3000
miles away. The server is also doing a lot more work now (Apache, MySQL, DNS,
ROUTING, etc.) and uptime is much more important.