Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 1997 10:44:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Rolland Alba <vaxen@x-net.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install Questions (was Hi!)

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Rolland Alba wrote:

> Hello Folks;
>
> 		Well I am about to boot up FreeBSD. All is set but i am just a little
> timid. I am running DOS 6.22 and Win 3.1x on an American Megatrends 1.6G
> Quantum Fireball. Partitioned into 3 partitions @ 360M each or so. My
> DOS and Windoze arte both on C:\ Along with most of my Net Candy .E is
> pretty full with Apps and stuff but I have an extra 250M or so on D:\ I
> have made my boot disks and Downloaded into D:\FreeBSD\bin all the bin
> files from the FTP release 2.2.2 and the Manpages D:\FreeBSD\manpages\
> all and I have all of the tools @ D:\FreeBSD\tools Including setup.exe
> :Ha! So I would like to boot from D:\ and make FreeBSD live there on
> D:\FreeBSD! I have Optimized all So should I run setup from this dir or
> should I boot Run fips first then load these files onto the slice or
> just what is the best way to proceed at this point?

Roland, how did you get these files onto D?  Did you get them by ftp, so
you don't have a cdrom?

Anyway I hope others will answer your message; I'm not a hardware expert.
I just wanted to say that it sounds like you're doing "install from dos,"
but here's the point:  the slice onto which you install FreeBSD has to be
a different one from the partition (the dos term) in which you put the
files that you have like D:\Freebsd\bin.

So you need a partition that's free (no data you want to keep--a primary
partition) into which you install FreeBSD from D:\FreeBSD.  If the
Quantum is IDE, it's probably got to be below 540 megs (at least the
first section of the slice).  Not sure about LBA here....I think it's
irrelevant if the drive is SCSI.

	Annelise