Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 2014 19:16:48 +0600
From:      Muhammad Moinur Rahman <5u623l20@gmail.com>
To:        Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
Cc:        ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Status of ntopng

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 6:37 PM, Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it> wrote:

> On 10/25/14 04:28, Muhammad Moinur Rahman wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

> Hello.
> First off, thanks for your attention.
>

>  1. I am not aware about if it's not working in 8.4. It will be helpful
>> if you can provide me any logs.
>>

>  # uname -r
>> 8.4-RELEASE-p16
>> # cd /usr/ports/net/ntopng/
>> # make
>> =3D=3D=3D>  ntopng-1.2.1 is marked as broken: Does not build on 8.X due =
>> *ENDIAN implementations.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/ports/net/ntopng.
>>

> =E2=80=8BSorry, my mistake. Yes it is broken for 8.4. Tried a lot but I n=
eed to
patch so many files that I left it like that.
=E2=80=8B

>  In fact on the contrary I think it's time for you to at least upgrade
>>
> > to 9.3 as 8.4 will be EOL soon.
>
> There's more than half a year of support ahead; I already moved several
> system to 9.3, but I still cannot move others.
> This is out of the scope, anyway.
> If ntopng does not work on this systems, I'll live with that (in fact, as
> I said, I installed it on another box).
>

>  2. Not aware of that either. Last time I checked it was working well.
>>

>  # portupgrade -RNv ntopng
>> # service ntopng onestart
>> #/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ntopng: 33: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted strin=
>>

> It's trivial to add the missing quote.
>
> Besides, I discovered redis is required; maybe it should be a dependency?
>
> Finally, running redis, I got "ERROR: Startup error: missing super-user
> privileges ?" in /var/tmp/ntopng/ntopng.log, until I fiddled with
> ntopng_flags. This might be normal, though; I don't know ntopng enough ye=
> to tell.
>
> Will look forward to it.
=E2=80=8BYes. You will require a redis server. It's built with redis client=
. But in
most of the cases =E2=80=8Bwe don't add server as a dependency as the user =
might
use a different database server host.

>  3. nProbe is a commercial supported GPL product where the source code is
>> available for the customer. However I will talk with Luca if he provides
>> me the code so that I can work on it and make some patches to work on.
>>

> Thanks, it would be great.
>

>  You are looking on the wrong direction I believe. I am not aware about
>> your traffic capacity but what you are looking for is possible without
>> nProbe too. Consult ntopng user guide. I believe -i and -I will clarify
>> your requirements.
>>

> Since I cannot run ntopng on the two 8.4 routers, I cannot right now
> achieve this setup (if I get what you are suggesting right).
> That's why I thought about nProbe.
>

>  bye & Thanks
>         av.

You can try ntop itself. Not the ntopng. If you are looking forward
something explicit to flow based sampling try the following URL to look for
more alternatives.
http://www.freshports.org/search.php?stype=3Dshortdescription&method=3Dmatc=
h&query=3Dnetflow&num=3D100&orderby=3Dcategory&orderbyupdown=3Dasc&search=
=3DSearch

However I am not aware about any tools which can generate netflow/sflow
alike traffic from FreeBSD host itself except bpft. But you can give a shot
at the following to investigate your options:
http://www.switch.ch/network/projects/completed/TF-NGN/floma/software.html

BR,
Muhammad

=E2=80=8B