Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:37:43 -0500
From:      "Mike Packard" <mike@packards-home.net>
To:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Mike Packard" <mike@packards-home.net>
Subject:   dump a filesystem and using null fs

I have ran into a little quirk in dump.  This may have been caused by
trying to be to clever, but I'll let you people decide.

First, I have a filesystem mount point /mnt_nfs/FreeBSD mounted from
/dev/ad0s4e.  Next I have another mount point /var/ftp/pub/FreeBSD mounted
to /mnt_nfs/FreeBSD with the filesystem null.  I got this clever idea from
reading mount_null man page and somewhere from the Web or news.  Here is a
snippet of my fstab to accompish all this:

/dev/ad2s4e             /mnt_nfs/FreeBSD ufs    rw              2       2
/mnt_nfs/FreeBSD        /var/ftp/pub/FreeBSD null ro            0       2

Now, my problem I ran into is when I run dump on /mnt_nfs/FreeBSD.  I get
an error from dump:

dump -f /var/test/dump /mnt_nfs/FreeBSD
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Thu Mar 13 21:30:46 2003
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /mnt_nfs/rFreeBSD (/var/ftp/pub/FreeBSD) to /var/test/dump
dump: Cannot open /mnt_nfs/rFreeBSD: No such file or directory

As can be seen, the letter 'r' go stuck before the FreeBSD.  Now, this,
after poking around in dump, is to fix 'raw' devices.  The
/var/ftp/pub/FreeBSD is getting traced back to /mnt_nfs/FreeBSD and it is
tried to be made into a raw device.

Ok here is my question, how to fix this, and yes I know I'm being clever
in setting this up like this?  I could just go straight into
/var/ftp/pub/FreeBSD and not use /mnt_nfs/FreeBSD.  But I'm annal and I
don't like that just because it disrupts my organizational scheme.

As a side note, I use /var/ftp/pub/FreeBSD to get this large directory
available for ftping.  Since ftpd does not allow soft links.  This allowed
me to put a large disk space available for anonymous ftp.

Mike Packard
mike@packardshome.net