Date:      15 Aug 2001 17:16:45 -0700
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lang/perl5?!

Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net> writes:

| Yes, you'll also want this PERL_ARCH line.

"mach"?!  Oooooookay.

| I'm not sure, to be honest.

Hm.  Perhaps something like this in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk:

        .if exists(/etc/perlver.mk)
        .include "/etc/perlver.mk"
        .endif
        .ifndef ${PERL_VERSION}
        .if ${OSVERSION} >= 500007
        PERL_VERSION=	5.6.0
        PERL_VER=		5.6.0
        PERL_ARCH=		mach
        .else
        .if ${OSVERSION} >= 300000
        PERL_VERSION=	5.00503
        .else
        PERL_VERSION=	5.00502
        .endif
        PERL_VER=		5.005
        PERL_ARCH=		${ARCH}-freebsd
        .endif
        .endif

That way, you wouldn't have to worry about cvsup; you'd just make
/etc/perlver.mk into

        PERL_VERSION=5.6.1
        PERL_VER=5.6.1
        PERL_ARCH=mach

Then you'd change /usr/ports/lang/perl5/Makefile to read:

        .ifndef ${FORCE}
        .if ${OSVERSION} > 300003
        FORBIDDEN=	perl is in system---to install a possibly-conflicting version in /usr/local/bin/perl, use make FORCE
        .endif
        .endif

Does that make any sense to anyone?

| Perl 5.6.0 just chooses to call the architecture directory 'mach'.

Ooookay.  I just knew that MacOS X thing was a bad idea.  ;)

| I don't think installing a new version of Perl is for no[v]ice sysadmins

It *should* be; that's kind of the *point*.  The ports system is supposed to
make all this stuff easy and routine.  It's one of the reasons I recommend
FreeBSD so highly.  This perl5 port is kind of a fluke, and not a terribly
pleasant one at that.  If the only thing that's likely to be affected is
locally-written Perl scripts (which can use #!/usr/local/bin/perl), then say
so, but if they can coexist, why not make it easier?

| See -ports mailing list archives for the schedule on having Perl 5.6.0 MFC'd
| to stable, I'd look it up for you but my connection is acting funky...

It may not be your connection.  From the FreeBSD search results page:

        Search Results

        The archives freebsd-questions and freebsd-ports contain the following
	items relevant to `perl':

Nothing.  Nada.  Not a sausage.  Something's broken.

Thanks, though, Pete.  I've really appreciated your help.  Guess it's time to
go frag some Makefiles, and then beat my head against a wall when I need to
upgrade after a cvsup.  :)