Date:      Wed, 2 May 2007 14:53:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: xorg upgrade plans

On Wed, 2 May 2007, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 02:40:26PM -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>
>> Secondly, X7.2 as I tried it wouldn't "startx" if some other login had
>> created a .Xauthority file.  While "rm .Xauthority" solved the problem
>> completely, I don't think this is user friendly.
>
> I think I ran into this once a while back, I don't know what is the
> correct solution.

Perhaps you could put in some kind of "setenv XAUTHORITY .Xlocalauthority"
in a script somewhere.

Actually this one can bite you quite badly.  If you are running X, and
then you login from somehwere else, and then go back to the X session,
then suddenly all your X commands like xterm will completely stop working.
It can be really disconcerting if you don't know what caused it, and I can
see a large number of help messages being generated on the various
bulletin boards.