Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 17:46:44 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        audit@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pkg_version in C [was: Re: Perl scripts that need rewriting - Progress!]

Hi,

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 10:14:21AM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> 1.  The version comparisons passed all of the regression tests that knu
> and I made for the original pkg_version (test-pkg_version.sh).  This
> gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling about that part of the code.

Of course it does...  I wouldn't have posted it otherwise! ;-)

> 4.  You commented that you didn't like the way we did "-s" before.  If
> you think it'd be better as (say) a regex or a globbing expression, I
> don't believe there'd be much problem with going that route.  knu
> used globbing when he wrote portversion, if you want some precedent.

Well, the pkg_* utilities each work in the same way - they take a list
of packages on the command line or a -a flag for all.  They then work
over that list one package at a time...  I think it would be a bad idea
to change any of command line flags now.  I've never quite figured out
why we have both globbing and regex matching in pkg_* though...

Anyway, a revised patch is at:
http://people.freebsd.org/~reg/pkg_version.patch

Besides people's comments, there are a few changes to the comparison
(multiple matches didn't work in the first version), and I've made the
name matching more strict.

I was asked to CC -audit, so I've dropped -current from the list.

Regards,
  -Jeremy

--
FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                           http://www.freebsd.org/