Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 11:46:34 -0600
From:      "Dustin Puryear" <dpuryear@usa.net>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Using DNAT and DNS round-robin

I posted earlier concerning using FreeBSD with a web service with one
firewall and two web servers, all running FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE. Basically, we
feel that we have two solutions that would work. First, we can setup each
web server with a series of interface aliases for each IP-based virtual
host. Second, we could maintain a private internal network and assign each
web IP address to be used on the firewall's public interface and then use
DNAT to send the request to the web servers. I am thinking the second
solution is best.

Is this how most of you do this? Also, can I configure FreeBSD to use some
type of round robin so that we can use multiple web servers? My concern is
that when I create the routing tables the IP addresses are used internally,
and not symbolic names, so specifying a hostname won't have the desire
result even if I have DNS setup to round robin that hostname between several
addresses.

Any help?

BTW, I may post a similar question to freebsd-questions, so you can ignore
one of these. :)

Regards, Dustin

---
Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
Information Systems Consultant
http://members.telocity.com/~dpuryear
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams