Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 1998 21:15:16 -0600
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI IRQ mappings

In message <XFMail.981221130855.doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, "Daniel O'Connor" wrote
:
} Hi,
} I'm wondering if its possible to reassign IRQ's for PCI cards. The BIOS does
} the
} origional mapping (I think) but sometimes this is broken, so the only way to
} change IRQ's
} is to shuffle cards in the machine. Is there a better way? :)
}
} I had a look at the 440BX datasheet but I couldn't find anything pertinent. I
} s it
} possible? Windows seems to let you do it, and I'm curious how.

I can't provide hard technical details, but I do know that while motherboard
shopping recently, I came across several BIOSes which have a setting which
tells the BIOS that the OS may reassign the IRQs out from under it (or
maybe it controls a bit in the chipset which _allows_ the OS to do so, I
dunno).  Based upon this, I assume it's feasable for the OS to actually
do this kind of thing.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com