Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 07:14:47 -0400
From:      Branson Matheson <Branson.Matheson@FergInc.com>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: yp across a gateway?

On Wed, Oct 15, 1997 at 10:04:47AM +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> I seem to a problem with yp/NIS clients that
> should reach a yp/NIS server across a gateway.
> I'm not sure if this ought to work or doesn't
> work out of principle in FreeBSD (2.2.2).

 Well... it can.. what you *Should* do is put a slave on the other
 side of the gateway and ypset(8) it to the master. But you can also
 ypset a client to the master on the other side of the gateway. The
 problem here is that if the master goes down, the slave will try to
 rebind on it's subnet and will not be able to. I would suggest
 running a slave on the other side. That way if the master does go
 down.. the clients on that subnet will still be bound to the slave.

  -branson
Branson Matheson       	        " If you are falling off of a mountain,
Unix System Administrator         You may as well try to fly."
Ferguson Enterprises, Inc.           - Delenn, Mimbari Ambassador
           ( $statements = <BRANSON> ) !~ /Corporate Opinion/;