Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:02:00 -0500
From:      "Scott M. Lewandowski" <sml_freebsd_questions@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Minimum filesystem block size

I am thinking of deploying qmail to take advantage of the Maildir format
that it offers. However, it seems like this will be very wasteful of space.
According to the newfs man page, the minimum disk block size is 4096 bytes.
Since Maildir stores each new mail message, as well as all archived mail
messages, as separate files, this means that each email will take up 4K of
disk space, even though my average mail message is only ~1K. Is this
correct, or am I missing something? Is there any way to use a smaller block
size on a new filesystem?

Thanks for any comments.

Scott Lewandowski